Reese is 8 months old! Such a big, cuddly boy!
However, for the past 3 months, Reese has been attacking himself in his sleep. He attacks his head, face and eyes like an angry
bear. He wakes up with bloody scratches and raw spots.
I have put gloves and socks over his hands but he takes them off. I
trim his nails every 34 seconds. We have to double swaddle him at night
to keep his hands down. He has severe eczema which I know is common in
babies and I am sure this is the cause of his teenage self-cutting
behavior. His pediatrician is on my speed dial and we have tried EVERY
product on the market... Eucerin, Aquaphor, Aveeno Baby Eczema Oatmeal bath, Rx
lotion, hypo-allergic/dye free/perfume free everything, Cetaphil, unicorn
blood (thanks Potter). My heart breaks for the poor guy
because I know he has to be incredibly itchy. His little head and
face look like he has been mauled by our cats….they actually have nothing to do with him
because they are huge snobs. BUT, besides his self-mutilating
actions, he is the HAPPIEST baby I have ever been around. His laugh is
contagious and his dimple is to die for. I say all of this to
give content to the real purpose of this blog……
I have become THAT mom.
This morning, I was at Starbucks (shocking) and saw a baby
sitting in a carrier on his daddy’s chest. Perfect combo.
I asked The Starbuck's Dad how old his son was…8 months. Of
course, I was like “OMG, seriously, so is MYYYY son.”….if you are a mom, you have
totally done this. After telling me about his son's massive crawling
adventures, he asked if my son was crawling. GASP! No, he
isn’t. Is Reese behind? Is he paralyzed? Will he ever make
it in the world? Have I damaged him by strapping his arms down at night
and now he has no arm muscle strength. Is he normal? Am I normal? Is this real life?
We cant help comparing our kids….BUT, I take it to a whole
new level…creeper style. The little boy was adorable and I looked
at his face and head and didn’t see a scratch. I thought, “He must sleep
so peacefully without itching”. Instinct overtook me and I stroked
his head and said, “Your head looks so good”. What the hell does that
even mean, Jami?? Geez! Starbucks Dad just looked at me and smiled but
secretly wanted to escape. And if that tactless act wasn’t enough, I caught myself
holding onto his tiny foot like I was one with him. After
realizing that I have become THAT person... the one that uninvitedly touches
babies. I left. With my tea. And my tail tucked between my
legs. I will now be more patience when rando’s come up and touch Reese…..they…we cant help it.
I give an ocular pat down to EVERY baby I see to ensure my
son is normal and on the right developmental track. Is that creepy?
For you mommies that I have called crying, laughing and unreasonably questioning all baby milestones, THANK YOU for your patience. And a big thank you to my dear friend, Valen for posting this blog My Top 5 Mom Tips
Starbuck's Dad: If you ever come across this blog, I am sorry I was such a creeper. Your baby is adorable and he really does have a nice head.
Okay first of all, I just laughed out loud reading this, hysterical!!! Second of all, I felt the same about Avery crawling! She didn't really start until around 8 months, and perfected it by 9. I thought she'd be walking by 9 (bc I did). Every baby really is different!
ReplyDeleteI don't have any kids, but I KNOW that when I do, I will absolutely do this. I already do it at the dog park. Why does Zoey just chase the ball and not bring it back? How did that guy get his dog to do it? Perhaps I should go ask him...
ReplyDelete